Ealing Trailfinders Rugby Club Ealing Trailfinders Rugby Club

Pennycook still aiming high after Ealing Trailfinders hit half century

Redford Pennycook believes that Ealing Trailfinders must better the level of play they demonstrated in their 50-17 win over Hartpury College if they are to fulfil their potential as a team.

The flanker scored the first of eight tries in the match, which was a vast improvement on the previous week’s win over Esher when the team failed to secure a four-try bonus point. 

The eight tries were split five to three between the forwards and backs and it was a fair reflection of the performance, which featured a powerful showing from the pack with quick hands and strong running in the backs. 

“I think we’d like to go above this, ” Pennycook said. “It was a good performance, but there were still marginal errors. It is important to put a performance in every week and aim to get as close to perfection as possible. 

“This week was especially good because normally one week the forwards have gone really well and the next week the backs go really well, but this week it was a joint effort and a really good effort."

Pennycook was playing in his third Ealing Trailfinders match since making his debut in the home win against Macclesfield, a match in which he was named man of the match. 

Against Hartpury College the former Bristol player was on the pitch from start to finish and the try was his first in the green and white. Tom Wheatcroft and Pennycook’s fellow flanker Arthur Ellis added further tries before halftime and five minutes into the second half Nathan Buck went over to wrap up the five points. 

Further scores came from Alex Walker, two from Danny Kenny and a try on the final whistle from Sam Wardingley that along with Ben Ward’s conversion brought up the half century.

“It was a very good atmosphere and the boys were pumped and excited to get the win and put a reasonably good performance in, ” Pennycook added. 

“I’m almost back to full fitness and getting there slowly, so it was good to get the full 80 under my belt, it has been a long time. It (the try) was just about two metres out, so it was just a case of catch and dive over the line.”